Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Grinch


I just had to pay homage to what I consider to be the best Christmas cartoon of all time, and definitely one of the greatest works of animation ever, period--You guessed it, "The Grinch That Stole Christmas", directed by Chuck Jones and based of course on the book by Dr. Suess. I also have to list some of the other important players, because without their contributions, the masterpiece would just not be complete:

Phil Roman - Lead animator
Philip DeGuard - Lead background artist
Maurice Noble - Production Design
Albert Hague - Music
Boris Karloff - Narrator/Grinch
Thurl Ravenscroft (best name ever) - Vocalist

 I can't think of two people that have inspired my art more than Chuck Jones and Dr. Suess. Every year I watch and dissect The Grinch, trying to glean whatever techniques and ideas I can, trying to determine what exactly about it makes it so magical. The answer is--EVERYTHING. I've included some sketch/storyboard/ watercolor art from around the web-amazing stuff. Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment